Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Still surprised by Linux? Yeah :-)

[See this post in the new blog]

Yesterday evening I had to print out a photo of my son: since the only ready PC in the neighbourhood was my brand new Linux powered laptop, I just plug in the USB cable of my HP Deskjet F300 all-in-one.
Without paying any attention, I switched it on, being prepared to go through the usual CUPS story, when some popups on the bottom right of my KDE desktop appeared saying that scanner and printer were been successfully configured. Just a quick test to verify that everything was actually working and voilĂ . Great!

I still remember what, years ago, I had to do to make my old Epson Stylus Color 740 able to operate, and without any success guarantee: modprobe, lsusb, /var/log/syslog, dmesg...

No comments:

Post a Comment